Course Title: Beyond Cultural Competence
Course Description: This course provides employees and supervisory staff with insights, knowledge, and practical strategies that lead to cultural competence. Workplace culture must be transformed at its foundations through education, knowledge, and skill-building, and should be manifested in workplace behaviors, attitudes, policies, and structures. This course will examine the concept of multicultural competence, the relationship between attitudes and behaviors, the developmental stages of cultural competence development, tools for organizational self-assessment, and practical next steps towards a fully inclusive workplace. Organizations rich in cultural competence tend to outperform peers because their team members feel included and do their best work. This class is fully customized and includes industry and organization-specific experiential exercises to create a highly engaging and effective learning environment.
Specialty Areas: Our trainers design and develop specific cultural competency curriculum for different industries. Here are a few of the specialty areas which are most often requested:
Teaching & Education
Casinos & Lottery Staff
Who Should Attend: Diversity and Inclusion leaders, managers and supervisors, and organizational development professionals will learn about the importance of cultural competency in moving beyond civil rights compliance management towards a culture of inclusion, how to measure cultural competency and advance along the stages of cultural competency development, and how multicultural competency and its products result in stronger, more innovative, resilient, and profitable organizations.
Learning objectives: Participants will gain an understanding of multicultural competency and the developmental stages for organizations, tools for assessing their organization’s developmental stage, and how to build the knowledge, skills, and workplace infrastructure that will help fully realize the benefits of diversity and inclusion.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Understand the concepts of cultural diversity and competency
- Understand the benefits of building culturally diverse and inclusive teams
- Understand stereotypes and implicit biases
- Understand the history of demographic changes in the workplace
- Understand best communication practices and techniques to utilize with team members from different cultures
- Understand the importance of non-verbal and para-verbal communication
- Identify when conflict may have a cultural component
- Establish a personal plan with measurable goals to improve cultural competency at work